Counseling for Anorexia and Bulimia – Therapists and Counselors in Spring Hill
With around 30 million people in United States alone who are suffering from anorexia and bulimia, it is undeniable that these eating disorders have totally affected a significant portion of the population. It is a disturbing fact, knowing that these disorders have high risk consequences. However, despite these alarming facts, both of these disorders can still be prevented and treated. Spring Hill, TN anorexia and bulimia counseling may be an effective way to do it.
The National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders says that only 10 percent of the people who suffer from these disorders get the treatment that they need, leaving a lot of sufferers untreated. They still have to experience the negative effects of these disorders.
What are the most common causes of anorexia and bulimia?
These eating disorders are more complicated than what we thought. More often, anorexia and bulimia are associated with people who are very conscious of their body’s image, but more than this, a lot of factors contribute to the development of alarming eating disorders:
1. The person’s genetics plays an important role in this situation. If he/she has relatives who suffer from an eating disorder, he/she is more likely to have one as well. His/her genes can also highly affect his behavior towards food.
2. Mental health issues can also affect the person’s likelihood to acquire such disorders. Depression can cause the person to neglect or indulge in food.
3. The person’s experiences that may have also caused the destruction of his/her self-esteem can also cause the development of eating disorder. This can be physical, emotional, or sexual abuse.
4. When a person indulges in various diets and weight-loss products, he/she is more likely to suffer from eating disorders.
5. The people around him/her can greatly influence his/her eating habits.
Symptoms of Eating Disorders
- A person’s obsession over his/her weight and body image.
- Depression and anxiety.
- Engaging in bad and wrong diets that suppress the body from acquiring essential nutrients.
- Feeling of shame or guilt after eating.
- Intent to neglect any food.
What are the negative effects of these disorders and what is the best way to start the treatment?
Purposeful neglect of food will cause a serious cause of nutrition imbalance. This poses a serious risk to the person’s health, making him/her more vulnerable to high-risk diseases such as stroke, cardiovascular ailments, and hypertension.
These physical effects are also affected by the person’s overall mental health. The sufferer can induce in the endless cycle of shame and guilt and this causes mental stability. Studies have also shown a strong association between eating disorders and suicide.
Do not let this battle come to a tragic end. It can be treated or prevented at the onset. Start with the Spring Hill, TN counseling for anorexia and bulimia. Make that important decision today.