Overcoming an Addiction – Therapists and Counselors in Nashville
Every year in America, more and more people become victims of addiction, something that is defined by Psychology Today as a “condition that results when a person ingests a substance (e.g., alcohol, cocaine, nicotine) or engages in an activity (e.g., gambling, sex, shopping) that can be pleasurable but the continued use/act of which becomes compulsive and interferes with ordinary life responsibilities, such as work, relationships, or health.”
The qualified Nashville addiction counselor is seeing an increasing number of people suffering from one form of addiction or another and seeks to assist as many people as possible with freeing themselves of this curse.
Basic Addiction Signs
The signs and symptoms of addiction are pretty standard, no matter what the addiction is. The typical addict will display some or all of the following symptoms:
- Tolerance to the substance or activity that they’re addicted to
- Short-temperedness and irritability when not consuming or taking part in the activity that they’re addicted to
- Dishonesty. The addict will lie about their addiction, to others as well as themselves.
These are not the only symptoms of addiction, but if you’re displaying at least two of the above signs, there’s a good chance that you might have an addiction problem.
What’s Going to Happen to Me?
If you don’t get help for your addiction, the future is pretty bleak. Depending on what you’re addicted to, your addiction could see you in any of the below scenarios:
- Alone. Your family, friends, and loved ones are no longer in your life
- Penniless. You’ve lost your job and all your money goes to feed your addiction
- Sick. You’re suffering from the physical effects of your addiction
Is There a Cure?
Addiction can be cured, but it’s not easy. It takes a “rewiring” of the brain in order to undo the damage that has been done and convince the brain that it doesn’t need drugs or alcohol or whatever in order to find peace. That takes hard work and the expertise of a Nashville addiction counselor who will use the power of therapy, both group and individual, to determine the underlying cause of your addiction and work with you to overcome it, step-by-step, all the way until you get your life back.
There is a life beyond addiction. Please contact us to start living it.