Anorexia and Bulimia Counseling – Therapists and Coaches in Johnson City
Eating disorders can never be taken for granted. With around 30 million of the United States population affected by anorexia and bulimia, these disorders have posed a serious risk to the health of many. The good news is that eating disorders may still be treated and prevented by the Johnson City anorexia and bulimia counseling.
One of the biggest challenges faced by the country today is that only 10 percent of those with disorders are not able to receive treatment, thus a significant number of patients are still suffering from the effects of the disorder. This is an alarming concern.
What are the common causes of Anorexia and Bulimia?
Anorexia and bulimia seem like simple cases of people who are obsessed to shred off their body fats to look like the models they see on magazines, but the truth is, these disorders can be more complex. There are other important factors that cause these disorders:
1. Genetics play an important role in the development of anorexia and bulimia. It accounts for the heightened risk of a person to acquire these disorders. A person is more likely to suffer from these disorders when their family members are also sufferers. The person’s genes also play a huge influence in his/her behavior towards food.
2. Other mental health issues can also cause the development of anorexia and bulimia. A person with depression shows symptoms of abhorrence or obsession for food. On the other hand, a person who suffers from these eating disorders can also display depressive symptoms.
3. The person’s experiences can strongly contribute to his/her total well-being and perception of food. Those traumatic events that may have caused the destruction of his/her self-confidence can lead to these eating disorders.
4. The person’s exposure to various weight-loss programs or diet can also influence his/her eating patterns.
5. Peer pressure highly affects the person as well.
What are the common symptoms of eating disorders?
- Obsession over one’s body image.
- Anxiety and depression.
- Clear intent to avoid eating at all.
- Episodes of binge eating which is usually alternated with vomiting of food.
- Obsession over body weight.
- Indulging in a highly restrictive diet which is known to reduce essential nutrients for a certain period. This is done so the person can quickly lose a significant amount of weight.
What are the negative effects of bulimia and how to overcome this eating disorder?
These eating disorders are very concerning, and people who are suffering from any of these disorders should realize its negative effects to their body. Nutrition imbalance due to wrong diet and food intake can cause nutrient-related deficiencies and make them more susceptible to serious health illnesses such as hypertension, stroke, and other cardiovascular diseases.
Apart from these physical health consequences, the person can also experience depression, guilt, and shame, which can affect his/her mental stability. What is even more alarming is that studies have shown the strong association of eating disorders and suicide.
Treating Bulimia and Anorexia is not an easy task. The first important step is anorexia and bulimia counseling in Johnson City. This is where trained and experienced counselors can provide professional and emotional support to guide you in the next steps you should take to get over these disorders.