Panic Attack Disorder Therapy – Counselors and Therapists in Houston, TX
Panic attacks can be a harrowing experience. While they may last only few minutes, the experience can be profoundly disturbing. A person who has experienced one panic attack, usually fears that another one may occur at any time, and this fear is only compounded by not fully understanding what happened, and what is causing it.
The attack usually manifests as a sudden feeling of overwhelming fear, commonly accompanied by characteristic symptoms, such as:
- Breathing difficulties
- A rapid heartbeat
- Shaking and trembling
- Hot or cold flashes
Luckily, panic attacks counselling and panic disorder therapy have been proven to be successful methods in treating these conditions.
According to the DSM-5, panic disorder is diagnosed when:
- A person repeatedly experiences panic attacks
- Attacks (at least one of them) are followed by deep concerns regarding another attack occurring and regarding the implications of the attacks (what do they mean, why are they happening, could they be the cause or effect of a serious physical or psychological condition, etc.) and/or significant changes in a person’s behavioral patterns as a direct consequence of these attacks.
Unfortunately, many people suffering from panic disorder never receive the proper treatment. Consequently, their condition can deteriorate over time, up to the point where normal functioning is impossible. Some people who struggle with panic attacks try to hide their condition, which affects their relationships with their friends and family, as well as their work related activities.
Panic attack counseling and panic disorder therapy can help clients:
- to prepare for the situations, thoughts and symptoms that trigger a panic attack
- to learn they should not be afraid of panic attacks
- to learn to relax in order to ease the physical symptoms of panic attacks
- to change the way they perceive stressful situations in order to reduce the number of panic attacks
- to face their fears, by gradually confronting the frightening situation, step by step, in order to weaken anxiety response and, over time, eliminate the attacks
If you are familiar with any of the listed symptoms, we encourage you to contact our office in Houston, TX for additional information.
Early diagnosis, as well as the proper treatment (panic attack counseling and panic disorder therapy) are key to combating these conditions. If you opt for panic attack counseling, or panic disorder therapy, our professionally trained staff here at Houston, TX will be able to offer a range of helpful solutions. We encourage you to contact us for further information!